The University of Iowa HPC systems allow users to purchase dedicated compute node capacity for their groups. At present the following options are available for purchase. For questions or to purchase nodes please contact email@example.com. For information on data storage options please visit https://hpc.uiowa.edu/resources/storage.
Argon Phase 3
Next generation Argon nodes were installed in October 2019 with warranty through October 2024. The available configurations are as follows:
NOTE: Due to challenges in manufacturing and availability, GPU configurations have been experiencing very long lead times. Please continue to contact us with requests for resources and we will work with our vendor to provide approx times and configuration availability. Due to NVidia constraints on parners, such as ASUS and GigaByte, consumer GPUs, such as the 3090ti, are not available for purchase and installation. Thank you!
NOTE: Please contact us for a quote on your configuration to ensure accurate pricing.
Non-GPU Compute Nodes - 80 Compute Slots, Intel Xeon Gold firstname.lastname@example.orgGHz (Turbo up to 3.9GHz), DDR4-2933, 1TB SSD, 100Gbps InfiniBand EDR, 10Gb Ethernet
- Standard Memory - 192GB - $5,853
- Mid-Memory - 384GB - $6,838
- High Memory - 768GB - $10,015
- Very High Memory - 1.5TB - $14,282
GPU Capable Compute Nodes (Up to 8 GPUs per Node) - 80 Compute Slots, Intel Xeon Gold email@example.comGHz (Turbo up to 3.9GHz), DDR4-2933, 1TB SSD, 100Gbps InfiniBand EDR, 10Gb Ethernet
- Low Memory - 96GB - $9,500
- Standard Memory - 192GB - $9,816
- Mid-Memory - 384GB - $10,832
- High Memory - 768GB - $12,842
- Very High Memory - 1.5TB - $17,090
GPU Cards - The configurations above do not include GPU cards. Below are the cost per GPU cards. (For availability of other models please contact us.)
- Nvidia A100 32GB - $5,500
- Nvidia A40 48GB - $3,700
- Nvidia 2080 Ti - $1,160 **NOTE LIMITED CONFIGURATIONS AVAILABLE contact us FOR DETAILS**
- Nvidia RTX8000 - No Longer Available
- Nvidia 3080/3090TI - Not available for purchase.
The HPL benchmark results for the Xeon Gold 6230 is 907 GFlops.
Argon Phase 2 - No Longer Available for Purchase
First generation consumer GPU friendly compute nodes without high speed fabric. Going forward most individuals will be better off purchasing Argon Phase 3 nodes as they are higher performance, lower cost, and all include high speed fabric. If you have questions please contact us. Expected warranty for these nodes is through September 2023.
Silver Compute Nodes - Designed for GPU intensive computing with modest CPU use. - 40 Compute Slots, Xeon Silver firstname.lastname@example.org, DDR4-2400, 1TB SSD, supports 4 GPUs, no GPU included in price below.
The HPL benchmark results for the Xeon Silver 4114 is 409.9 GFlops. Available memory configurations of 96GB, 192GB, and 384GB.
Gold Compute Nodes - Designed for GPU intensive computing with significant CPU use. 64 Compute Slots, Xeon Gold email@example.com DDR-2666, 1TB SSD, supports 4 GPUs, no GPU included in price below.
The HPL benchmark results for the Xeon Gold 6130 is 1004 GFlops. Available memory configurations of 192GB, 384GB, and 768GB.
GPUs - As indicated above these configurations do not include GPU cards. We are suggesting a "Bring Your Own GPU" model with the following cards supported:
- Nvidia Titan V - $3179/card
- Nvidia GeForce 1080 Ti - No longer generally available for purchase. Investigating options for other consumer card support. For more details contact us.
- The general guidance at this time is that cards cooled by Nvidia's "reference design" (a single fan drawing air through a shrouded baffle across components) should work, but cards cooled by fans blowing directly down onto the card (typically 3) will not.
- Examples of 1080 cards not directly manufactured by Nvidia which are supported:
- PNY: VCGGTX1080T11PB-CG
- MSI: GTX 1080 Ti AERO 11G OC
- If you have a different product in the 1080 Ti family in mind, ask us and we can request information from our vendor on supportability in the server chassis.
- *NOT SUPPORTED*:
- Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Founder's Edition (direct from Nvidia)
High Speed Interconnect is not included - Contact us to discuss options.
Argon Phase 1 - No Longer Available for Purchase
Argon Phase 1 Compute Nodes - (56 compute slots, 2 x Xeon E5-2680v4 (28 Cores at 2.4GHz), 1TB SSD, 1Gbps Ethernet, 100Gbps Omnipath, Warranty through May 2022, HPL benchmark performance of 766.1 GFlops)
Neon Nodes - No Longer Available for Purchase
Nodes are out of warranty and will be retired from cluster January 2021 (7 years after deployment).
How long will my compute node be available? - All HPC compute nodes are purchased with a five year warranty. Compute nodes will be allowed to run for up to 7 years within the following parameters.
- The final two years of the compute node life are outside warranty and are on a best effort basis.
- If software/OS can no longer support compute equipment prior to the end of its 7 year life the HPC team may, in consultation with the HPC Policy Committee, determine that the life of compute equipment is shorter than 7 years. Should this occur the HPC team will strive to provide at least six months of notice to the HPC community before equipment is decommissioned.
- In the event that compute nodes fail outside of warranty they will not be repaired. The HPC team will attempt to keep investor queues at the purchased capacity, to the extent possible, based on the following process and guidelines.
- Investor compute nodes that fail out of warranty will be replaced with compute nodes from the UI queue within the same generation of hardware.
- When possible compute nodes will be replaced with same or higher specification hardware. This will not be possible in all cases. In cases where this is not possible the investor will be contacted by the HPC team with available options.
- Transfer of compute nodes from the UI queue to investor queues will occur in the order in which failures occur.
- UI queue compute node availability is finite and is unlikely to be able to sustain all investor queues at full capacity for a 7 year life. As such investors should not assume that their queue will remain at full capacity for the duration of the two year life outside of warranty.
Renting Compute Nodes
HPC node rentals are available on a limited basis and subject to specific node type availability. The minimum rental period is for one month. Prices are per node per month. We prefer to know in advance the number of months you wish to reserve the nodes for. For questions or to request a node rental please contact us.
|Argon Phase 1 - 128GB||$175|
|Argon Phase 1 - 256GB (No Accelerator Support)||$200|
|Argon Phase 1 - 256GB (Accelerator Support)||$210|
|Argon Phase 1 - 512GB (Accelerator Support)||$250|
|Nvidia P100 GPU (GPU Only, Add on to Accelerator Capable Argon Phase 1 Node)||$200|
|Argon Phase 2 - Xeon Silver 192GB with 4 Nvidia 1080 Ti||$320|
|Argon Phase 2 - Xeon Silver 192GB with 4 Nvidia Titan V||$550|