The HPC team is working to provide support for certain consumer GPU cards in the Argon system. This work is currently broken into two areas. These are:
Supporting Consumer GPU in Existing Lenovo Accelerator Capable Compute Nodes
Testing of consumer GPUs in Argon nodes is complete. Our testing indicates that it is possible to install one consumer GPU per accelerator capable node. The following cards were tested:
- Nvidia Titan V - Supported
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti - Cannot be support due to thermal issues.
Adding GPU Targeted Compute Nodes to Argon
Consumer GPU friendly compute nodes are now available for purchase in the Argon system. We are taking orders today, but there is some uncertainty around product supply. Memory levels have been adjusted due to the new "Skylake" processor architecture in these systems. We are including GPU (Silver) and CPU (Gold) intensive versions of these systems as options.
Silver Compute Nodes - Designed for GPU intensive computing with modest CPU use.
- Low Memory: 20 Cores (Xeon Silver firstname.lastname@example.org DDR4-2400 92GB, 1TB SSD (supports 4GPUs, none included) - $6500
- Standard Memory: 20 cores (Xeon Silver email@example.com DDR-2400 192GB, 1TB SSD (support 4GPUs, none included) - $7600
- Mid-Memory: 20 cores (Xeon Silver firstname.lastname@example.org DDR-2400 384GB, 1TB SSD (supports 4GPUs, none included)- $10,000
Gold Compute Nodes - Designed for GPU intensive computing with significant CPU use.
- Standard Memory: 32 cores (Xeon Gold email@example.com DDR-2666 192GB, 1TB SSD (supports 4GPUs, none included) - $10,200
- Mid-Memory: 32 cores (Xeon Gold firstname.lastname@example.org DDR-2666 384GB, 1TB SSD (supports 4GPUs, none included) - $12,500
GPUs - As indicated above, these configurations do not include GPU cards. We are suggesting a "Bring Your Own GPU" model with the following cards supported:
- Nvidia Titan V - $3179/card
- Nvidia GeForce 1080 Ti - ~$1000/card
- The general guidance at this time is that cards cooled by Nvidia's "reference design" (a single fan drawing air through a shrouded baffle across components) should work, but cards cooled by fans blowing directly down onto the card (typically 3) will not.
- Examples of 1080 cards not directly manufactured by Nvidia which are supported:
- PNY: VCGGTX1080T11PB-CG
- ASUS: TURBO-GTX1080TI-11G
- MSI: GTX 1080 Ti AERO 11G OC
- If you have a different product in the 1080 Ti family in mind, ask us and we can request information from our vendor on supportability in the server chassis.
If you have questions or are interested in purchasing items on this page please contact email@example.com.