Apply Now: June 15 application deadline!
The Texas Advanced Computing Center (TACC) will host the sixth annual, five-day Summer Supercomputing Institute in Austin, Texas, from July 30 - August 3, 2012.
For more details and to apply online please visit the Summer Supercomputing Institute web page:
The TACC Summer Supercomputing Institute will provide researchers with an intensive introduction to TACC's computing resources. The Institute is appropriate for all levels of researchers, faculty, staff, and graduate students, from new users of advanced computing technologies to those who have research projects requiring powerful computing, visualization, storage, or software.
* Applications Seminars: Leading computational researchers will discuss their work, including examples of how they are applying TACC's resources such as Ranger, Lonestar, Longhorn, and Spur.
* One-on-one Consulting: During the Institute, TACC staff will assist participants in applying the techniques and technologies covered in the Institute to their own applications.
* Researchers across Disciplines: Users across multiple disciplines are encouraged to apply, including Astronomy, Astrophysics, Biosciences, Computer Sciences, Cosmology, Engineering, Geology, Geophysics, Mathematics, Nanosciences, and Physics.
* MSI Participation: TACC encourages participation from all Minority Serving Institutions, including Hispanic Serving Institutions and Historically Black Colleges and Universities.
TACC staff will deliver presentations and lead interactive labs focused on using TACC's resources and technologies, including:
* Ranger: Sun Constellation Linux Cluster;
* Lonestar: Dell Linux Cluster;
* Longhorn: Dell/NVIDIA Visualization and Data Analysis Cluster;
* Spur: Sun Remote Visualization Cluster;
* Ranch: Petabyte archival facility;
* Developing parallel programs with OpenMP and MPI;
* Analyzing and optimizing application performance; and
* GPGPU programming.
In January 2013 TACC is scheduled to deploy a new compute cluster, Stampede. Funded by the National Science Foundation, this new cluster will provide the user community with access to 2 PFlops of Intel based microprocessor power and 8 PFlops of Intel MIC (Many Integrated Core) architecture technology. During the Institute students will receive a description of the system and TACC staff will present a session on how to use the new MIC architecture.
* June 15, application deadline
* June 22, notifications sent to applicants
* June 29, payment ($150) deadline for accepted applicants (covers lunch, snacks and course materials)
Refund Policy: Accepted applicants needing to cancel must do so by Tuesday, July 24, in order to receive a refund.
For more information about the TACC Summer Supercomputing Institute, please contact Chris Hempel, TACC Director of User Services, Email:
firstname.lastname@example.org; Phone: 512-475-9479.